Maple Bacon Banana Donuts are a decadent treat for any time of day! These donuts are made from scratch and taste just like your favorite breakfast sandwich. The maple glaze is light, fluffy and has the perfect touch of sweetness that compliments the salty bacon, sweet banana slices, and crunchy walnuts on top.
This recipe is so easy to make because it requires little to no baking. In addition, it only requires a handful of ingredients and is easily customizable for any dietary needs.
These donuts are the perfect breakfast treat to satisfy your sweet tooth in between meals or after dinner!
Before we begin, let me tell why these donuts are the perfect way to start your day.
Maple Bacon Banana Donuts are the perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors in a doughnut-like snack that is not only delicious, but healthy as well. The maple glaze adds sweetness while bacon bits add salty goodness without adding too much fat or calories to an already nutritious donut recipe.
Moreover, This is a recipe with ingredients that are both sweet and salty. The maple syrup in the dough, the brown sugar coating on top, bacon crumbles mixed into the batter, and smoky bits of bacon sprinkled on top all combine to make this breakfast donut irresistible. This baked Maple Bacon Banana Donut Recipe has become my go-to when I need an easy morning treat or something just for me at night after dinner because they’re so delicious!
Maple Bacon Banana Donuts
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- ¼ cup Coconut Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ⅓ of a large ripe Banana, mashed (about ½ cup)
- ½ Cup Almond Milk
- ⅓ cup Maple Syrup
- ¾ Tablespoon Baking Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- Do not add the bacon to the recipe! It should be cooked separately and served on top. Otherwise fat will cook out and it won’t get crispy when baked in the oven.
- To make this vegan: substitute maple syrup for honey or agave nectar
- If you want gluten-free donuts, use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar.
- Preheat your oven to 300°F
- Mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- In another smaller bowl whisk the banana until smooth (add about an egg’s worth of water if needed). Pour this into the dry ingredient mixture and stir to combine everything well. Add vanilla extract or any other spices you may like at this point!
- The dough will be sticky so pour it onto a floured work surface and then knead for several minutes before rolling out to form circles that are roughly six inches wide.
- Press each circle down with your hands, flattening them as best you can – they don’t have to look pretty because we’re going for texture here too
- Use a round biscuit cutter dipped in flour to cut out circles. Place these on a greased cookie sheet, and place them in the oven for 11 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
- Lastly, we’re going to top our donuts with that maple-bacon goodness!
- In a small bowl whisk together melted butter, brown sugar, pure maple syrup and bacon pieces
- Pour this mixture over your warm Maple Bacon Banana Donut – it will bubble up as you do so because of all those bubbles from baking! Serve immediately.
- I like to add banana slices before brushing on my syrup topping but this is optional*
- You can also use regular milk instead of water if desired
- The recipe yields about 12 donuts which are perfect for an average sized family breakfast.
Maple Bacon Banana Donuts are a delicious and easy way to start your day. Making them is not too difficult, but make sure you use the right recipe!