We all know that french fries are not that good for our health, Right? They add a ton of fat to your belly, and eating them tends to make you feel sluggish!
Luckily the best alternative is here; crunchy, tasty, and healthier than your classic french fries!
Okay! Enough with the introduction. Let’s welcome polenta fries!
These delicious appetizers are the perfect fit for vegan pulled pork sandwiches, plus they’re so easy to make!
Plus, they have just 5 ingredients! You probably have all these things in your kitchen already. And, if you want to get really wild, you can even sub in some almond milk instead of water when you make the polenta for super creamy tasting fries.
Now, I know most recipes are all “you have to soak your cashews overnight!”. And, yeah that’s great and whenever I remember or plan ahead I do… but sometimes I forget. So the truth is, if you put them in really hot water for 20 minutes, it works just fine. Just make sure you put the aioli in the fridge for a little after you make it so it’s not warm. Oh, and definitely reheat heat these in your toaster oven so they stay crispy, because soggy fries? No thanks.
And if you want to pretend they have zero calories too, I promise, I won’t tell! Happy eating!
Vegan Polenta Fries with Garlic Lemon Aioli
- 6 cups Water
- 2 cups Cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 cup soaked Cashews
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large pot mix water, cornmeal and salt and heat on medium high until cornmeal is absorbed and thickened, but not to the point where it is difficult to stir.
- Pour polenta onto parchment lined baking sheet spread it out to about 1/2 inch thick. (If it doesn’t cover the whole pan, it is ok). Let cool in the fridge until firm.
- Once cool, cut long thin fry shaped strips into the polenta. Put baking sheet into the oven and bake about 8 -10 minutes until golden color deepens and polenta becomes crispy. Remove from oven and flip fries. Put back in the oven for 8-10 more minutes.
- While fries are cooling in a food processor or using an immersion blender, mix cashews, garlic and lemon.
- Serve and dip fries liberally!