Fall is here! And what better way to enjoy the season than with some delicious vegan pumpkin apple spice muffins? These sweet little treats are made from scratch and filled with fall flavors that will have you feeling cozy all day long. The best part of this recipe is that it’s incredibly easy to make, so you can whip up a batch for breakfast or as a quick snack any time of day!
– All purpose flour – ½ cup + ¼ teaspoon
– Granulated sugar – ⅓ cups
– Baking powder – ½ teaspoons
– Pumpkin puree (unsweetened) – ¾ cup
– Almond milk (or any other non dairy alternative) – ¼ Cup + ⅛ teaspoon. *For a vegan recipe, use soy milk instead of almond milk and coconut oil in place of the butter*
– Brown sugar – ¼ Cups plus one tablespoon for topping muffins after they are baked. **Optional add ins to these pumpkin apple spice muffins include dried apples or cranberries as well! You can also substitute some raisins for cinnamon chips if you want to add a little bit of sweet crunch!
– Oil – ½ teaspoon
– Apple cider vinegar – ⅛ teaspoon
– Almond extract (optional, but delicious) – ¼ teaspoons. You can also substitute vanilla extract if you don’t have almond on hand.
– Potato starch or cornstarch – optional for thickening batter, I find it unnecessary and just skip adding this entirely myself. **Sugar is not included in the ingredients because depending on your diet type sugar may be excluded already or added as needed per personal preference***
Instructions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line muffin pan with liners. In a large bowl mix together all dry ingredients including flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. In a separate bowl beat together the wet ingredients including sugar, vanilla extract and canola oil. Add in pumpkin puree then add to dry mixture until just moistened. Fill muffin cups two-thirds of way full with batter (about one heaping tablespoon). Top each cupcake with an apple slice or roughly chopped walnuts for decoration if desired. Bake in oven for about 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out cleanly when tested. Let cool in pan for ten minutes before transferring to wire rack.
Tips on how to make the best muffins:
- Make sure you use muffin liners.
- Add a sliced apple and raisins to the recipe for added sweetness. And, if you want some nuts in your muffins, add them too!
- Incorporate pumpkin puree into these vegan recipes by adding it with the wet ingredients (oil or butter). ingredients (oil or butter).
- If you like cinnamon flavor then use up to half of a teaspoon in this recipe. If not, don’t worry about using any at all as they’re already included within many of these ingredients.
What’s the word on pumpkin apple muffins?
Pumpkin apple muffins are a fall favorite. They’re vegan, sweetened with just maple syrup and coconut sugar, gluten-free and made from whole wheat pastry flour! What more could you want?
The flavor is just amazing. This is due to a few factors: the pumpkin puree, applesauce and a secret ingredient–cinnamon. The cinnamon adds tons of flavor without adding any extra fat or calories to your breakfast or snack.
Because pumpkin is such a versatile ingredient, it makes for the perfect fall baking recipe. As you may know by now I am obsessed with pumpkin and often use it in my recipes to substitute eggs. It’s also much cheaper than buying vegan eggs.
The texture is also amazing. These muffins are light and fluffy with just the right amount of sweetness from maple syrup and coconut sugar. But if you want them sweeter (if that’s even possible!), feel free to add more maple syrup!
We hope you enjoy this vegan pumpkin apple spice muffin recipe as much as we do!