PIE! So, last weekend I went and got married! It was a beautiful, special, emotional day that I will keep with me for the rest of my life. And once pictures come in I will do a recap post! But for those of you not there, one detail about our wedding that I loved was that we had a pie buffet with 7 different pies!!! So when the beautiful Rach Martino (who was a guest at the wedding!) asked me to collaborate with her on a post for HP where she bends the rules, I thought: we should make a pie together!! And if a pie with basil in it doesn’t break the rules, what does?!?!
And that’s how this weekend we ended up my kitchen, putting together this Strawberry Peach Basil Pie! It’s so easy (hello, 10 ingredients for the crust and the pie!), and it’s pretty healthy with no added sugar (although it does have a buttery crust – it’s pie!). Rachel and I prepped and photographed each step for you so that…you can make it at home too! You start by prepping and chilling your pie crust. Remember to crimp those edges! And then sprinkle your basil onto the crust. Line the bottom of the pie with circular rounds of peaches, and the spread the cornstarch soaked strawberries on top!
Cut out fun shapes in your remaining pie dough – we picked hearts and polka dots!! Then pop it in the oven, and bake for 40 minutes and 350°. (This is a good time to go make/ get yourself a cocktail!)And then: DONE!
Coming up there will be more recipes, summer fun and traveling – and working at getting in shape! Plus now that my wedding is over, I have more time to post! (Wedding recap coming soon!) And remember to check out more behind the scenes, don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest!
- For the Crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for rolling dough)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Powdered Ginger
- 16 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (or Coconut Oil/ Earth Balance if Vegan), cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup ice water, plus 2 more, if needed
- For Pie Filling
- 1 Pint Strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 3 Peaches, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed Basil, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- For the Crust
- In a stand mixer, using a paddle attachment, mix flour, salt, sugar and ginger until combined. Add butter, 1 slice at a time. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with just a few pea-size pieces remaining.Sprinkle with 1/4 cup tablespoons ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed with fingers. Add more water as needed. Separate 1/3 of the dough. Place each round of dough in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Once chilled remove larger round from fridge and roll out to a 14 inch disk. Place on top of a greased pie pan and crimp the edges. When ready, roll out smaller round and cut out into small shapes to place on top of the pie.
- For Pie
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pie crust for 10 minutes in the oven, let cool. Then, sprinkle Basil onto bottom of crust. In a medium sized bowl mix together salt and cornstarch. Toss strawberries in mixture until fully coated. Place sliced peaches in a circular patter across the bottom of the whole pie, and then pour strawberries on top, creating an even top layer. Drizzle lemon juice across top. Place pie crust cut outs on top, and brunch with water. Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and chill, for at least an hour in the fridge. Serve cold.