Oh hey hi! Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday! Mine was great – except over the last month I broke a tooth, got another tooth pulled, and then needed a root canal. No working teeth equals not a lot of cooking in the Lorimer Street Kitchen! But, now my teeth are fixed (mostly) and I’m back at it!!!
The last few weeks have not been very healthy eating for me. Since I couldn’t chew I turned to Nutella on a spoon for comfort. But my wedding is less than 5 months away! It’s time for some healthy (and easy) food choices. First up: These Thai bowls! First off, I’m a BIG fan of Thai food. So anything healthy, Thai and fast is going to be in heavy rotation. PS: I check my fridge last night and I 3 half empty jars of red curry paste. I may have a problem.
I made these with smaller spaghetti squash that I found at the farmer’s market so that they could be used for individual servings. But if you can’t find that feel free to use large ones and use it as a serving bowl. Now I eat these two different ways: at work, I eat the quinoa and squash in a lady like fashion with a fork, and take a little squash and quinoa with each bite. At home, where beast-mode might be more applicable, I scoop all the squash out, mix with the quinoa and then put it back in the squash bowl. Both ways work, it’s just a personal preference!
I’m sill figuring out how I want to work this whole “diet” thing to lose these 10 pounds. For now, I’m just going to focus on eat well- and honestly, after not being able to chew for so long, I’m also going to enjoy eating!
I hope you have been enjoying all the Vermont and Ski pics I’ve been sharing, but if that’s not your thing – and there are plenty more to food pics coming up! For more sneak previews, food pics and Oreo silliness don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest!
- 2 small Spaghetti Squash
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 Can Coconut Milk (either Light or Regular)
- 2 teaspoons Red Curry Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2/3 cups Cashews
- 2/3 cup Pineapple Chunks
- 1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 2 Limes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice squash in half and scoop out seeds. Roast skin side down for 25-30 minutes or until squash is tender.
- While squash is roast, cook quinoa in a pot with coconut milk, red curry paste and salt. Bring to a boil and then simmer until quinoa is soft and fluffy.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300. Add pineapples, cashews and cilantro to quinoa and scoop into spaghetti squash halves. Cook for another 5 minutes. Squeeze juice of 1/2 of a lime onto each bowl before serving.
- Serves 4.