Can we all agree that it’s much easier to come up with delicious unhealthy recipes than delicious healthy ones? I mean, I have notes upon notes on s’mores ice creams, cinnamon roll cakes and chocolate olive oil bread – all things I want to make. But to come up with something delicious that is still really good for you? Not so easy.
And every day at work I literally watch the clock until 1pm – the time I deem acceptable for lunch. It’s a countdown until it hits 1 and if I’ve been waiting since, ohhhh breakfast, for this next meal – I really want to enjoy it.
Since I was getting tired of variations on the veggie burger sandwich, I whipped up this salad. It feels very decadent – crunchy “bacon”, avocado mixed in with some very filling bulgur. If it’s healthy and i’m looking forward to eating it? I must being doing something right…
Now, I’m a pretty big fan of tabouli – but I’m an even bigger fan of mexican style food So when I thought about what I’d want to eat for lunch – a southwester tabouli sounded right up my alley! But, it needed some pop. Enter: BACON!
Now I used faux bacon – aka coconut bacon with seasonings (it gets pretty damn close to the real thing). But it totally adds the little bit of saltiness that the salad needs and some nice crunch too! (Just don’t burn or eat your whole batch of coconut bacon. Not that I have ever done either of those things. Nope. Definitely not.)I’m also a fan of how fast this is to make. I got up about 3 minutes before work the other day to make it, and was done from start to finish in that time – with enough made to last me for lunch all week. Although the tabouli was still warm when I mixed all the ingredients together. But after popping it in the fridge at work for a few hours it was cold and delicious, just the way tabouli should be!
This weekend I’ve headed down to the Jersey Shore – visiting friends and Cape May for the very first time! I plan to use the time to run, hang out and play in their amazing kitchen and whip up a few things! (More popsicles on the way!) How are you spending the end of your summer??
If you want want to stay up to date on my summer travels, wedding planning and adventures in cooking, follow me on F Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest! That way you’ll never miss a recipe, you can share with me your food obsessions and summer fun!
- 1 cup Bulgur
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 cups Corn
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatos, chopped
- 1 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 lime
- 1 cup shredded Coconut
- 3 tablespoons Liquid Smoke
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Agave Nectar
- Preheat your oven to 300°
- Place bulgur, water and olive oil in a pot and bring it to a rolling boil for 5 minutes. Then reduce heat to a simmer, for approximately 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Stir with a fork to fluff.
- Mix the coconut with the liquid smoke, soy sauce and agave nectar, and bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes, or until coconut is crispy. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked bulgar, corn, cucumber, tomato, cilantro, avocado and coconut bacon, and blend thoroughly. Let chill, and before serving squeeze lime juice on top.