I am SO ready for the holiday weekend, how about you?! There are so many things I want to make, I want to go to the beach, and I want to take a nap! But before I do that, I need to share this salad with you!
It was part of the big al fresco lunch I made and shot last weekend out in the burbs, and it’s just awesome. Why? Well because it’s great hot (we had it that way for dinner Saturday night) or cold (when we had the leftovers for lunch.
Another way I know it’s a winner? Both Joe and I liked it. (After dinner he actually went back a grabbed a handful from the wok to shove in his mouth. Plus, mango is one of the stars of this dish, and I have a long standing love affair with mango. So let’s get to it!This inspiration for this dish… well let’s just say this was originally going to be a mango spring roll with bean sprouts – but it evolved a little bit! Plus, I discovered Thai Sweet Chili Sauce and I think it’s the most delicious thing ever. Even though it’s sweet, it has some spice to it too (which is why both Joe and I liked it!) And, it pairs amazingly well with the cilantro, which adds some nice color and punch of flavor to the dish!
If you aren’t vegetarian you could easily substitute shrimp or chicken in this dish, though I really like the tofo to keep in extra light in the summer. (Not just because of my diet! But because who wants to heat something heavy when it’s super hot!) You could also try substituting peanuts for cashews, but I just love cashews so much!
This weekend whipping up a veggie burger slider, some healthy french fry and chip alternatives and a crazy delicious ice cream that I’ve been dying to share with your for forever! (Ok, just a few weeks!) I won’t have any new posts this weekend (c’mon we are all going to be grilling and at beach, not reading my blog!) but I will be back with a vengeance next week with tons of summer-y, health (ish) recipes for you!
Want to see what I’m up to this holiday weekend? Follow me Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest! I promise there will be tons of beach, booze, food and Oreo pics! Plus, you’ll never miss a recipe, get tons of behind the scenes pics of the food I’m cooking, styling and eating!
- 1 package Pad Thai Noodles (approx 1.5 cups)
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 1 package Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 cup Cornstarch
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 whole firm, ripe Mango, sliced
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Raw Unsalted Cashews
- 1 cup fresh Cilantro
- Place 1/4 cup canola oil in in a wok or large saute pan and heat it on medium high heat. When oil is hot add tofu and cook until crispy. Remove tofu from wok and place it on a paper towel to drain some of the oil.
- Reduce heat and add 1/4 cup of sweet chili sauce, stir in, and then carefully add 1 cup water. Add the pad thai noodles, stir to coat, and cover the pan. Raise the heat back to medium high heat and cook for 3-4 minutes to let noodles soften.
- Uncover the wok, stir to coat the noodles, and add the mango and cherry tomatoes. Let cook for another 5 minutes, uncovered, stirring and allowing the liquid to evaporate.
- Once the sauce has thickened and the noodles have cooked, add cashews and tofu and toss everything to coat. Cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add another 1/4 cup of sweet chili sauce.
- Either serve hot, or allow to chill in an air tight container over night.
- Add cilantro right before serving.