I love this salad.No, really I do! I’ve been eating at work every day for lunch, and it’s awesome. Let me explain why: First of all, I love beets. (When I was a kid, my family nickame was remolacha – beets in Spanish.) I also really love dill. The two combined, with bright and tasty oranges? Basically, this salad tastes amazing, and the bulgur and chick peas leave me feeling full all afternoon. But the best part? The salad is super weight loss friendly.
Let me explain why. I’ve been working really hard to lose some of the stress weight I put on in the last few months. I recently listened to an awesome podcast by Ben Greenfield. One of the things they talk about is how internal inflammation can prevent weight loss, so I packed this salad with foods that fight inflammation: whole grains (like bulgur!), beets and avocado oil!Plus it’s only 250 calories a serving!
I spoke with Ben Greenfield as I created this recipe recipe, and asked him for tips on how to promote weight loss and fight inflammation. He recommends “eating a completely anti-inflammatory diet, particularly avoiding vegetable oil, added sugar, soda, juice, except fresh squeezed, energy bars and “health” bars, boxed cereals, powdered “proteins,” and powdered milk, salad dressings made with any kind of vegetable oil, including canola, all low-fat products, including milk, cheese, salad dressings, cookies, and other baked goods.”I feel like I already incorporate a lot of these tips into my diet (like making my own healthy granola bars), which made me really happy, but obviously I’m going to keep doing what I can to help me get healthier and fitter. I’m curious what you all do to stay fit and healthy?For more healthy meals, sweet treats, sneak previews of recipes and pics of NYC and Oreo, be sure to join other readers on our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest, as we chat about all things food and fun (and check out ideas and behind the scenes photos I don’t share anywhere else!).
- 6-7 Beets
- 1 can Garbanzo Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup Bulgur
- 2 cups Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Oranges
- 1 tbsp Dill
- 1/4 cup Avocado Oil (or Olive Oil)
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice (preferably fresh squeezed)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Wrap beets in tin foil and roast them for 45-60 minutes. Let cool and peel the outer layer. Slice the beets to 1/4 inch thick.
- Mix bulgur, salt and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed. Fluff the bulgur with a fork and place in a large bowl.
- Add beets, garbanzo beans and orange slices. Toss until mixed, and add dill, avocado oil and orange slices. Toss to coat.
- Can be served warm, or after being chilled in the fridge.