If this recipe doesn’t to fit in with my recent attempts at being healthy, it’s because it’s from about a month ago, back in my carefree Vermont days. Two of my closet friends, Anna and Lyndsay were up with me for a mini girls weekend while Joe was filming in Puerto Rico. We needed a yummy Sunday morning breakfast to finish off the weekend, so I whipped up a couple of these loaves Saturday night before we went out. So. Good. Definitely a little decadent, and since I just started trying to lose some weight I probably won’t make this again in the next few weeks. But after that? I may need to treat myself to a batch of these sweet and salty loaves.
I really love that peanut butter chocolate combo (um, who doesn’t?), but sometimes it can be too sweet – especially when it’s in dessert form. These loaves are sweet, but not sugary, and my favorite part is the salty, crunchy quick from the pretzel crust. I take that back. I make have to make these this weekend and run an extra mile or two!
–I’ve definitely been good about eating better and working out. I’ve started a training routine to run a 10k (!!!) in June, and I’ve definitely become more aware of what I’ve been eating. I’ve started tracking my recipes again on My Fitness Pal (where this recipe was originally featured!), so that I have a better idea how many calories I’m consuming, and I’m cutting back on the sweets. It’s not easy…. but it must be done!For more indulgent treats, healthy meals, sneak previews of recipes and pics of NYC, be sure to join other readers on our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest, as we chat about all things food and fun (and check out ideas and behind the scenes photos I don’t share anywhere else!).
- 1 tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 3½ cups Whole Grain Wheat Flour
- 1½ tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ¾ cup Apple Sauce, unsweetened
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ¾ cup Peanut Butter, creamy
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3 oz. Water
- 3 tbsp. Flax Seed Meal
- ½ cup Baking Cocoa
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ cup Agave Nectar
- 1 cup Soy Milk
- ½ tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1½ cups Soy Milk 2 oz.
- Tiny Twists Pretzels
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease two loaf pans with coconut oil.
- For Peanut Butter Quick Loaf: In a small bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, and ½ tsp. salt together. In a separate large mixing bowl, stir together ¼ cup apple sauce, ½ cup brown sugar, ¾ cup peanut butter, and 1 tsp. vanilla. Mix 1 tablespoon of flax with 1 ounce water, add it to the batter and mix well. Add flour mixture and stir until combined. (The batter will be thick). Pour in 1½ cups soy milk and mix until smooth. Put half of batter into each loaf pan, spreading it out evenly.
- For Chocolate Quick Loaf: Mix together 1½ cups flour, ½ cup cocoa, ½ tsp. salt, ½ tsp. baking powder, and ½ tsp. baking soda in a medium bowl. Beat ½ cup applesauce and ½ cup agave nectar in a mixer bowl until creamy. Mix 2 tbsp. flax meal with 2 oz. of water. Add it to the batter, and mix until smooth. Gradually add in flour mixture. Mix together 1 cup soy milk and ½ tbsp. lemon juice, and let stand for 5 minutes to make “buttermilk.” Slowly mix buttermilk into batter until combined. Pour half of batter into each loaf pan.
- Swirl the two batters together. Cover top completely with crushed pretzel pieces. Bake for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Remove from heat and allow loaves to cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove loaves from pans and cool completely.