OK, so the Super Bowl might have slightly (ok, totally) derailed my plan of eating better, but I am back on track! I know this is the time of year where we all have a little extra “insulation”, but I’d rather focus on my overall health starting now, rather than wake up one morning in June, and think: “Crap, I have to put on a bathing suit in 2 weeks.” Plus… I like it when my jeans actually fit. Who’s with me??!
As a result, all our dinners for the week are quick, but relatively good for us, and the lunches I’m packing for work are uber-healthy. I figure, if I eat super clean from 7 am -7pm, I can indulge a little at dinner. Side note: A glass of wine and a piece of chocolate are not considered an indulgence, they are mandatory.
What I love about this meal is that it tastes like I’m splurging – but its super healthy. I made it for dinner with my friend Anna when she came over for a girl’s night in – and I’ll be packing it for lunch for most of this week. What really makes this dish is the super thick, spicy peanut sauce. Soba noodles and tofu can be a little bland, but you’d never know because the sauce is crazy flavorful. Health wise: This meal is packed with protein and fiber and it’s gluten free. Oh and did I mention it’s ready in 30 minutes? You’re welcome.
It also holds up really well when packed for lunch. I’ve always been the type to bring lunch to work – it’s cheaper, it’s healthier and it saves time. But one thing that always drove me nuts was when I’d make this awesome dinner, pack it up for work, and the next day it would be soggy, or mushy. Blegh. It kind of ruins lunch when you aren’t enjoying what you are eating.
That won’t happen here. The noodles and broccoli stay firm, and the tofu… well, it stays like tofu. And its tasty hot or cold. Spicy, delicious, filling and healthy – that’s something that should be part of your day!
For more healthy dinner ideas and quirky mid-day thoughts, be sure to join other readers on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest as we chat about all things food and fun (and check out ideas and behind the scenes photos I don’t share anywhere else!).
- 1 block firm Tofu, drained and diced
- 3 heads fresh Broccoli, separated into small florets (or about 5 cups frozen florets)
- 5 oz Soba Noodles
- 1 cup Peanut Butter (smooth, or crunchy, your choice)
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil.
- 1 cup chopped peanuts
- Thoroughly drain tofu, and dice into small cubes.
- Heat a large pot of water on high until water reaches a boil.When it does, add soba noodles and cook until soft but not mushy, approximately 8 minutes
- Heat a cast iron skillet at medium heat and add coconut oil. Brush it all the way around skillet. When skillet is hot, add tofu. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, flipping (with a metal spatula) as sides crisp and brown.
- Heat a pot of water and add a steamer. Cook broccoli on high until softer, but still crisp and bright green.
- While everything is cooking, in a small food processor mix peanut butter, olive oil, soy sauce and sriracha and mix until smooth but thick.
- When everything is done, add all ingredients to a large bowl and toss until everything is coated in the sauce. Serve warm.
- Serves about 4.