Good morning! Let’s get a little crazy….
Because chocolate breakfast seems a little crazy, right? But it’s not. It’s amazing. Here’s why: quinoa is packed with fiber and protein – so you will stay filled up longer (no mid morning snacking because you are too hungry to wait till lunch.) And adding a little cocoa powder to it is only slightly more caloric, and don’t cuts down my sweet tooth for the rest of the day. I mean – you are basically getting a completely healthy dessert for breakfast!
I was super hesitant to jump on the breakfast quinoa bandwagon. I mean… it just looked kind of weird. Nope. Wrong. I admit it.
I experimented with a few flavor combinations but when I hit on this, I knew I had a winner. I’ve had in every morning for the last 4 days – and today won’t be any different!
Another reason this breakfast is so hearty (and delicious)? Pistachios. You may know they are an excellent source of protein – but did you also know they are a great source of fiber? Leaving you full and with plenty of energy.
I also added dried cherries. Try to find ones that aren’t sweetened. First, sweetened ones come loaded with additional sugars (and calories), plus the tartness of the cherry is like chocolate’s best friend. Gaahhh so good.
Now, I know that this called “morning person” exists… but I am not one of them. I want to sleep until the last possible second before I have to get up. Which means everything in the morning needs to be as efficient as possible – so I can sleep as late as possible. Make a batch of this breakfast quinoa and refrigerate it and voila: instant breakfast. Just microwave it for a minute with a bit of milk of your choice (to moisten it up a bit) and you have an amazing start to your day. In one minute.
Isn’t that so much better than a bowl of cold cereal?
For more breakfast goodness, be sure to join other readers on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest as we chat about all things food and fun (and get ideas and behind the scenes photos I don’t share anywhere else)!
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 cups Almond Milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup dried, unsweetened Cherries
- 1/3 cup chopped Pistachios (unsalted)
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 3 tablespoons Agave Nectar
- Add to a pot the quinoa and the almond milk and cover. Over medium high heat, bring to a low boil, and the reduce to a simmer.
- After you reduce the heat, stir in the cherries, the cocoa powder and the agave nectar. Leave, simmering, for 15-20 minutes until all the milk is absorbed by the quinoa. Stir occasionally to help circulate cocoa powder.
- When done cooking, remove from heat and mix in pistachios.
- To reheat, add additional almond milk, and microwave for one minute.