I know you are probably thinking I’ve lost my mind – but I really haven’t. Trust me on this. Because as decadent as this dessert appears and tastes, it’s actually not. Since it’s vegan its egg, dairy and butter free, and to make it healthier I’ve eliminated any oil. The 4 main ingredients in this blondie? Whole wheat flour, brown sugar, bananas and apple sauce. A treat? Yes. Bad for you? No.
I made these for an all girls sleepover recently. The kind that involves wine, dessert and watching The Notebook. So basically, the best slumber party ever. I totally got the inspiration for these blodnies from the awesome blog How Sweet It Is. This past summer she made Buttered Popcorn Crunch Brownies, and it just sort of stayed with me. I mean, how could it not!
Now, on New Years Eve a friend asked me if I could only eat one food for the rest of my life what would it be. And I said: A tie between chocolate and avocados. So knowing that, maybe it seems a little weird that I didn’t make these, ya know, actual brownies. But I was just so obsessed with the caramel sauce I told you about yesterday that I needed to come up with a dessert made special for it. This over the top dessert extravaganza fit the bill!If you want to make this dessert healthier, you can leave out the peanuts, popcorn and caramel because the blondies are moist and delicious all on their own. You can also try substituting different nuts and nut butters for a slightly different flavor. Or you could even drizzle chocolate syrup on top instead of caramel. Basically, you can’t go wrong here folks. It’s just too good!
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour (regular is fine too)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Apple Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar (or Coconut Palm Sugar for a lower glycemic index)
- 1 Banana, pureed
- 3 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 bag Salted Popcorn, popped (butter free), or 3 tablespoons Corn Kernels and 1 tablespoon Coconut OIl
- 1/2 cup salted dry-roasted peanuts (or more if preferred)
- 1/4 cup Super Simple Caramel Sauce
- 1 knob Coconut Oil
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease 8 x8 baking pan with knob of coconut oil.
- Combine dry ingredients, flour, baking powder and salt in one bowl. Ad wet ingredients, apple sauce, brown sugar, banana puree, vanilla extract, and crunchy and smooth peanut butters in another.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ones, mixing until completely blended.
- Pour batter into baking pan and bake for 32-35 minutes, or until completely cooked through.
- While batter is baking, pop the popcorn. Carefully sort out any unpopped kernels. Place popcorn in a large bowl and add peanuts and caramel sauce. Toss to coat.
- When blondies are done, remove from oven and using a cutting board or other large surface, carefully flip blondies onto a cool surface.Be careful to not burn yourself on the hot pan.
- Pour popcorn peanut caramel mixture on top of the blondies, spreading out evenly. Allow to cool and then cut and serve.