Baby, it’s cold outside! After two weeks of eating junk in Vermont (albeit delicious junk) my body is not very happy with me. Since we got back I’m trying to eat extra clean (like last night I made myself parsnip fries instead of using potatoes). So I’m looking for food that’s warm, filling and super healthy just like my friend Kim, a Healthy Living Expert suggested. I also totally had plans to start running again today, using some super warm running pants I got for Christmas…. but…. it’s cold and raining. I mean, blegh. Day 1 has been pushed to tomorrow! It will happen though, I promise!
But back to this soup I’ve made! I’d been playing around with a variation of Italian Wedding Soup in my mind for a while, and I came up with this. Not only is yummy, filling and vegan – it’s gluten free!
I figured, as long as I was using chickpeas for the “meatball” I might as well use chickpea flour too. I mixed it with lemon and parsley and the end result is this yummy and bright flavor that goes really well with the rich broth and kale! The whole thing comes together in about 45 minutes too, including all the prep!
It all happens in a super simple sequence : While you roast the carrots you make the “meatballs”. While the meatballs cook you make the stew. And then you put it all together! The chickpea balls on their own are pretty yummy too. I have a feeling if you made them tinier you could throw them in a delicious spinach salad with some olive oil and have an awesome lunch.
Have you been trying to eat better? Are you keeping your resolutions?! Let me know in the comments!
- 96 oz of Unsalted Vegetable Broth (approximately)
- 1 small head of Kale, stems removed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 7-8 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped.
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Coconut or Olive Oil
- 1 can Chick Peas
- 1 cup Chick Pea Flour
- 1 tablespoon + 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Parsley, plus 1/3 cup loosely packed Parsley leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large dutch oven add coconut oil, and let melt over a medium flame. When oil is melted, add carrots, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and toss to coat. Place in oven and let roast for about 30 minutes while you prepare chickpeas, or until soft.
- In a food processor, blend chickpeas until consistency is mostly smooth with a few lumps.
- In a bowl add chickpeas, parsley, half of the chopped onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir to mix. Then add, flour, olive oil and lemon juice, and using your hands mix the contents.
- Roll the mixture into small palm sized balls - about 12. Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- At this point the carrots should be done, and when you put in the chickpea balls, take out the carrots. The chick peas should be left in for about 20 minutes. Flip balls about half way through.
- Add remaining onion to crock pot with carrots and cook over a medium flame until soft - about 3-4 minutes. Add kale and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Toss to coat and cook until Kale is softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Once kale is softened, add vegetable broth and red pepper flakes. Cook, with a lid on the pot, over a medium high heat for about 10-15 minutes, until hot.
- Serve broth in bowl with meatballs added in.