Is anyone else tuckered out from all the festivities? I know I am. We had lots of driving to do in two days. So, if you have any houseguests, I’m pretty sure you might be too tired to cook another meal. Enter this loaf.
I was inspired by my days working at Starbucks (years and years ago). When Christmas would roll around, so would the cranberry bliss bar – loaded with cream cheese frosting, cranberries, white chocolate and ginger. And, as a barista, when it came time to throw away stock that had expired by one day, you can take a wild guess where it went. Needless to say, I became quite plump during this time in my life.
But I wanted to make a healthier, breakfastier version of bliss bar, and by jove after 7 loaves, I think I got it. It’s super spicy and gingerbready, topped with a vegan (optional) yogurt cream glaze and lots of cranberries!
I’ve been enjoying this on chilly mornings up here in Vermont with a cup of cocoa coffee (you know, where you dump cocoa powder into half a cup of coffee, add lots of milk, and pretend you are drinking something grown-up). I’m actually kind of bummed I didn’t bring my loaf pan up with me to make more because we are definitely starting to run low. Merp.
Now for this yogurt topping. I recently discovered that there is almond milk yogurt and rice milk yogurt in the super market – and this has changed my baking world. Now, I’m working on my own almond milk yogurt recipe because I realize – not everyone has access to these yogurts. (boo!) Now, if you are not eating vegan, any plain or vanilla yogurt will do. You don’t need the topping – its a healthier quick bread without it. But zomg. You want it. Like, want it so badly you will like the cellophane it gets stuck to. But then again, maybe you aren’t a recovering sugar addict like me.
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry (or regular) Flour
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar (or coconut palm sugar if you are concerned about sugar intake)
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 tablespoon Ginger
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Apple Sauce
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh or defrosted Cranberries
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy Plain or Vanilla Yogurt (Or if not making it vegan any plain or vanilla yogurt)
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 knob Coconut Oil
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add apple cider vinegar, apple sauce and water and mix thoroughly.
- Mix in cranberries.
- Grease loaf pan with Coconut Oil. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 30-32 minutes and remove and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove from loaf pan after 5 minutes (or crust/ edges get too hard).
- When loaf is cool mix yogurt and powdered sugar. (it should create a very thick icing.) Spread it evenly over the top of the loaf. Let icing harden, then slice and serve. Keep refrigerated.