There was one day though, in September, when it got ridiculously hot for a few days and I went to the beach. It was the tail end of the summer season, but there was a cute little taco shack that still had a line out the door. They grew their own fruits and vegetables in a lot across the street. It was sooo good.
Since beach season is over, I decided to use the few days of warm weather as an excuse to serve tacos inspired by the little shack at the beach. And even though it’s fall, most of the ingredients are still available at the farmers market, and the freshness of it all makes this pack a total flavor punch!
This dinner is unbelievably quick – theres no almost no prep (and if you quick soak that cashews, there is NO prep at all). If you like your soft tacos warm don’t make the initial mistake I did and heat them in the oven – they don’t get crispy, they get chewy and unpleasant. Just give them a quick warm up in the microwave. Make sure the very last thing you do for prep is to fry the tofu – they lose heat quickly and they are just so tasty and crispy when warm.
- 1/3 cup Cashews
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Almond Milk + 1/2 cup Almond Milk
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tablespoon Agave Nectar
- 2-3 teaspoons Sriracha (depending on taste)
- 1 block Firm Tofu, sliced into 8 pieces
- 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 cup Panko
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt + pinch of Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Lime
- 10 chopped Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 cup Corn
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 3-4 radishes
- 1/4 Cabbage
- 1 knob Coconut Oil + 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Avocado
- 4 Corn Tortillas
- Over night, or for 20 minutes in hot water, soak the cashews.
- In a saute pan, at medium heat knob of coconut oil and cook corn and tomatoes on low heat until warm but not soggy.
- While corn and tomatoes are cooking, mix soaked cashews, 2 tablespoons almond milk, sriracha, agave nectar, nutritional yeast and a pinch of salt until creamy.
- Slice radishes, cabbage, avocado and set aside.
- if desired, microwave corn tortillas until warm.
- Mix flour, panko, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in one bowl and place 1/2 cup almond milk in another.
- In a deep sauté pan heat 1/4 cup coconut oil until a drop of water pops out of it, but not so hot that it smokes.
- Dip each slice of tofu in the almond milk and then in the flour mixture until fully covered. Drop into sauté pan of coconut oil and fry until golden. Remove and place on a plate with a paper towel to collect oil. Squeeze lime juice on each slice.
- When all tofu is cooked, assemble each taco with some of the corn and tomatoes, slices of radishes, avocado, cabbage. Place two slices of tofu inside and garnish with cilantro. Drizzle the cashew sriracha sauce on top.