Growing up, we never really had a lot of pasta in my house. Maybe it’s because we are Spanish and culturally we don’t eat a lot of it, or maybe I just didn’t like it as a kid. Either way, I just never thought Italian food was all that exciting. Then I met my boyfriend, a definite foodie, half Italian, and my whole world changed.
Joe (my boyfriend, other half, and best friend) isn’t the biggest fan of eating healthy. So I have to try to sneak it in in ways he won’t notice. And he definitely had no idea there was no cheese in these – and I think that should tell you just how good these are (and good for you!)
I adapted these from Minimalist Baker’s Vegan Stuffed Shells with Roasted Eggplant, because Joe isn’t the biggest fan of eggplant, and because I just love adding cashew cream to everyyyyything. . Even though these have an extra step than their original recipe, I did just end up mixing the entire filling in the blender and the just filled the shells with a spoon right from it. How awesome is that? I’m a big fan of easy clean up – I mean, a REALLY big fan. I hate cleaning and if left in my natural state I am just a slob. (Like, after baking all day today, you don’t even want to see my kitchen right now. Um, Yikes. I know I have to clean it before Joe get’s home… but this blog post + Snookie and JWow were just too tempting!)
So in the end clean up for this pretty much just entailed the blender, the pot to boil the pasta, the tray to cook in on and the pan for making the sauce. For a whole dinner, that’s not bad at all. And you can definitely cheat if you want to save time and use pre-made sauce. I’m just a weirdo who loves making their own tomato sauce – it’s the perfect time to use all the things that are about to go bad in your fridge, cover them in tomato and make your meal even more filling!
So basically this recipe: yummy, easy, healthy and perfect for a Meatless Monday!
- 1 box Jumbo Shells
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 1/2 container soft Tofu
- 1 cup Cashews
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon agave
- 5 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup chopped Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped Cherry Tomatoes
- 6 large leaves Sage
- Soak cashews overnight, or for 30 minutes before in hot water.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut butternut squash in half, and wrap each half in tinfoil and cook in oven for 45 minutes, or until soft inside. Scoop out seeds, and let cool.
- In a blender mix tofu, cashews, almond milk, onion, garlic, salt, nutritional yeast, black pepper, agave and 3 sage leaves until completely smooth.
- Boil water for shells, and cook until very al dente and firm to the touch. Drain and immediately rinse under cold water.
- While shells are cooking add butternut squash to tofu mix in blender, 1/4 at a time, and blend until well mixed. When all is blended, scoop mixture into shells and place on baking tray.
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees.
- Chop remaining 3 sage leaves
- In a saucepan mix tomato paste, almond milk, mushrooms, tomatoes and remaining sage until warm and blender into a sauce. Pour over shells and cook for 25-30 minutes. Serve hot.